Monday, November 8, 2010

Catching up on reading books I should've read months ago (and switching my primary Word Processor)

It's been a while since I've made a post here and I apologize to the people who do stumble upon it and enjoy reading my blurbs and what have you.

For the last few months I have been bogged down with editing various versions of my own works and I've completely let slip my mind the stack of books at the back of my desk. I promised Eric Mc Cool I would read his book titled "A Savage Life" and give him my feedback and like a poor sap I've managed to only sit down on a busy day and say to myself "I will read that as soon as I'm done with this editing!"

Obviously I ended up finishing the editing just today and have been up all night. So if you are reading, Eric, I apologize for taking so long to read your book and I hope to give you a good honest opinion of it late this month or early next month ... Christmas time at the latest!

Now the editing of these books took so long because of the course of the last two months I changed my word processor from Apple Pages 4 (part of the iWork 09 suité) to Microsoft Word 2011. The main reason for this switch is its grammar checking is much better at finding grammatical errors. As much as I do love Pages' UI design, when it comes to the quality of my work Microsoft Word just makes more sense in the long run. A good thing to is, it wasn't all that difficult to figure out.

This next part probably should be the headline but alas, it isn't.

I've been considering my options of opting out of the Smashwords catalog. I've only sold two books and the price has gone from $1.99 to $0.99. No, it isn't all about the money but if people aren't buying it they aren't getting to read it either. I'm seriously under the impression that I could go to a magazine (online or off) and they will pay me a reasonable amount for my manuscript. It will be published and the people who have subscribed to said magazine to read a boat load of other stories may also read mine.

Simple, right? It is how Stephen King got started after all!

Now to be clear. Smashwords is an excellent website that offers and easy, free and quality way to publish ebooks and make the most out of the price of the book. I feel however that after being with Smashwords for a little over five months now that it just isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks again for reading everyone!

Till next time,

Christopher Brian Gibbon

No comments:

Post a Comment